Dear aspiring podcaster?
What scares you the most about podcasting? What is the one thing that is holding you back from acting on your long term desire to start a podcast?
Over the last two years since I started podcasting, I’ve had a lot of people come to me to commend my courage and seamlessness in podcasting. Then they go further to share how they’ve always thought about it but never get to take action.
Here are some of the reasons they give when I ask.
– I don’t think my voice is good enough.
– I don’t have any gadget to start with
– I am really busy right now with work and its hard to find the time to create the content
– I don’t speak fluent English and this might discourage my audience
– I am not tech-savvy.
– I don’t know if anyone will listen to me.
Oh well, I am sure there are more reasons out there that I am curious to know and I hope you would share with me in the comments.
But let me speak to the above-mentioned fears.
– If you think you have a great voice then you do, and if you think you don’t then you don’t. My question to you is can you speak, and when you do speak do people understand what you are saying? If your answer is yes, then you have a voice, the case of whether it is good or not can be fixed. Because several vocal coaches can help you make your voice sound better than it is now. One of such coaches online from whom you can learn is Roger Love. Go on youtube and check out his videos, I bet you’d find some useful tips to make you sound better.
– You don’t need any gadget to start with. Have you heard or read the quote “Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can.” Arthur Ashe? Yes, that applies to podcasting too. If you have a phone and quiet space to record in, your message is intact and coordinated and you are good to go. To learn more about how to put your content together you can take The Business of Podcasting course.
– Errrm, we create time for what is important to us. If sharing your message or expertise is truly important to you, you will create the time for it. And it’s podcasting we are talking about, you can always find 30min in your week to record your episodes. And if editing it is what is stressing you out, how about you reach out to me let me help you with that part or you can get on fiver and engage the service of an editor. I am on fiver by the way so you might as well get in touch directly 😉.
– So, if your English is not fluent, what language are you fluent in? Can you deliver your content in that language? And if you must deliver in English, well you can get a diction coach to help you out.
– This is no longer a valid excuse. Not in 2022! Learn, Learn and keep learning. You can be tech savvy in no time.
– Just as you don’t know if everyone will listen to you until you start. And there is such a thing as growing into it and over time. So why worry about something you can’t control right now? Yours is to show up and show up consistently and watch your tribe find you eventually.
In the comment would you share one or two things that are stopping you or that you’ve heard someone say that stops them from taking action? In this case from starting their podcast?
I have helped a few people overcome this fear and they are now podcasting and growing by the day. I am now committed to seeing more people grow and that is why I created The Business of Podcasting course which grants you access to the Profiting Podcasters Hub. And I can’t wait to be a part of your success story.